Please visit the Conferences page to view current training programmes which may be of interest to Trainees, Full Consultant and Integrated Health Professionals.
Training Courses: Bariatric training courses which may be of interest to trainees include:
1. SORTED Bariatric Course (Surgery for Obesity – Registrar Training and Educational Development)
These are held two / three times a year at different centres, for example:
University College Hospital, London, Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust, Clinical Anatomy Suite (CAS), Bristol University , European Surgical Institute (ESI), Hamburg.
1. A day in a dry lab where you will carry out basic skills, suturing skills and then perform various bariatric procedures. Day two will be in wet labs and you will complete a Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy and RNY Gastric Bypass.
2. Delegates will observe Gastric Banding to gain an understanding of the psychological aspects of having a band from a band patient’s perspective, X-ray analysis of possible band complications and dilemmas. Delegates will then be exposed to a number of RNY Gastric Bypasses and topics covered will include patient set-up. This will be followed by presentations covering the commissioning of a bariatric service and an overview of the National Bariatric Surgery Database.
- Hands-on surgery on techniques learnt to date.
- Year 5/6 Trainee
- CV and covering letter
- Letter of support from your consultant approving the application and confirming lap-suturing capability
- Any evidence of previous Bariatric meeting attendance
Bookings can be made at https://www.agoralive.com/EthiconProducts/SORTEDAutumn
2. Homerton Bariatric Surgery Training Course, Homerton University Hospital, London
Course Director: Mr Kesava Mannur. This is held annually, usually in February / March.
Topics include: Introduction to Bariatric Surgery, Patient Pathway-Bariatric co-ordinator, Bariatric Specialist Nurse role, Bariatric Specialist Dietitian role, Bariatric Physiotherapy, Eating Disorder /Psychologist, Metabolic Problems, Anaesthetic pearls, Bariatric surgery procedures – banded bypass, DS, revisions’ Bariatric surgery instruments, Complications of bariatric surgery, Plastic Surgery post-Bariatric, Live Operating Sessions with teaching from theatre, gastric bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Band to Sleeve Gastrectomy /gastric bypass, Gastric Band
To book or for more information, contact Magdalena Tosun, Medical Education, Homerton University Hospital. Email:Magdalena.Tosun@homerton.nhs.uk , Tel. 020 8510 7747
3. SWSTN Bariatric Surgery course – held annually at Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton and the University of Bristol.
Course duration: 1-2 days. Annually usually in November. Course Director: Mr Richard Welbourn, Consultant Bariatric Surgeon, Taunton.
This intensive two-day (two-centre) course comprises a Masterclass on Day 1 involving live theatre demo and interactive discussion with expert faculty, followed by an optional skills rehearsal on Day two. The aim of the course is to enable delegates to become familiar with the principles of bariatric surgery, and the operative anatomy and techniques for laparoscopic gastric banding, sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass.
The course includes:
• Hands-on training for laparoscopic bariatric surgical techniques
• Expert faculty of experienced Bariatric surgeons
• Live expert demonstration of Bariatric surgery
• Advice and guidance for patient/procedure selection, risk management and discussion on the different techniques employed
The course is aimed at senior trainees, new consultants, consultant surgeons and theatre personnel.
For course booking and information please visit: www.swstncic.org