What is the British Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)?
We are a professional society of surgeons involved in obesity management. Membership of the society includes medical professionals and allied health professionals including specialist nurses, dieticians, psychologists and dieticians. BOMSS aims to promote the development of high quality centres for obesity surgery, to educate and train future obesity surgeons and practitioners…Learn More »
Be Active, Stay Healthy
Be Active, Stay Health during COVID-19 Outbreak
Billions of people globally are staying at home to protect themselves and others from COVID-19. During this time, it’s key that children and adults stay active and healthy. Being active improves health, helps people deal with stress and most importantly helps our bodies fight off infections. Research shows that just 2 weeks of being less active has a negative impact upon health.
We’ve put together three short, easy-to-follow videos to help people stay active whilst at home. These exercises can be done at home in a small space and do no need any special equipment.
These videos are aimed at:
- Older adults, or people who are less active
- Active adults
- Children and young people
COVID-19 and Vitamin B12
As a result of pressures on services, and the requirement of vulnerable groups to self-isolate, we are aware that some people are unable to access timely vitamin B12 injections. BOMSS, RCGP and the BDA have worked together to issue practical guidance on the use of oral vitamin B12 in the short term. We strongly recommend that people return to vitamin B12 injections as soon as is practically possible.
Please click on the link below for further details.
BOMSS Restarting Bariatric Surgery Guidance
BOMSS have circulated best practice guidance about how to safely resume bariatric services now that elective surgery has restarted following the first COVID-19 wave.
Details of this guidance (which has been endorsed by both AUGIS and ALSGBI) can be found here.
We have also set up a Taskforce to support members during this difficult phase.
This will take the form of regular online meetings between BOMSS Executive and representatives of each UK unit to share advice and troubleshoot issues around resuming services, early experience and outcomes of bariatric surgery during the COVID era.
If you would like to take part in this Taskforce you should (i) select one representative from your unit who is a member of BOMSS and (ii) contact our secretary Vinod Menon at email@example.com
With my best wishes
British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society
From the President
Professor David Kerrigan
The UK Bariatric Surgery Registry is one of the outstanding achievements of past BOMSS Council members. It contains data on over 60,000 patients and has clearly demonstrated that modern weight loss operations are highly effective and safe, with the potential to save the health service money by reducing the burden of diseases associated with obesity. So why is the annual volume of NHS-commissioned bariatric surgery – at under 6,000 operations a year – 5- 10 times less than most European countries?
- Associate Professor of Health Services research at Sunderland, Dr Yitka Graham, has been discussing her research work this week on a new national radio station as the Government launches its plans for an anti-obesity strategy to try to limit the impact of a potential second wave of Covid-19.
- On the back of media reports of the PM’s enthusiasm for tackling the UK’s obesity problem with more vigour, please find below the open letter from the Council of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS) and bring it to the PM’s attention. Click on the link: BOMSS Council Letter to PM 19 May 2020 to view the letter.
- Visit the Guidelines page to view the current BOMSS Guidance during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Visit the Alcohol and your health after Bariatric Surgery
- Visit the Be Active, Stay Healthy
IFSO Cook Book now available
You can purchase the IFSO Cook Book for €20 Euros (please note this does not include postage and packaging – shipping costs which will vary depending on the country being shipped to). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and to order.